A place to share my thoughts - often about science fiction and informal philosophy; a non-judgmental space for creative exploration.
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Playful creativity
There's something about the Artist's Way creativity course that's about being more self-indulgent and playful (or that's how I've interpreted it at least). That's led me to buy some piece of Playmobil - inspired by something I was shown a while ago as an aid to real-world business story telling. So, here's an architect greeting a handyman and his friend, a DJ.
For me, these men could be characters in a book. I could think about their likes and dislikes, their skills and weaknesses, their favorite books and holiday destinations, their secret dreams and fears, their most embarrassing moments and so on. They look happy, but is that just them putting on a brave face for the world? What things would make them sad or angry? Equally, I could paint a pen-portrait of myself by answering those questions. Though I've lived a life's worth of such stuff, there are key headlines I could summarise.
I'm not promising to give the answers to all those (and more textbook character generation prompts) for myself or the Playmobil characters here. But I can see how this could be a creative exercise, and a potentially therapeutic one in a psychoanalytic way. What things might I project onto happy little figures in their toy world that are a bit too scary or ambitious for me in reality?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment