This is a sketch that I've just done of Tilda Swinton, which maybe captures an inspirational androgynous beauty. It's essentially just a copy of a photo that I found on the web, credited to Inez & Vinoodh here, so if it does, it's thanks to their original vision. I've been struck by Tilda Swinton's performances since Orlando, and more recently Snowpiercer demonstrated the presence that she can command, but I especially liked her suitably harsh Gabriel in Constantine. I was very excited to hear she might be the next Doctor Who - let's hope that it is so!
Now, before I was aware that she might be cast as the Doctor, I'd already imagined a character in a science fiction story that looked like her. This character was also a solitary interstellar traveler, who I'd named Mathilde, though she voyaged in a more mundane near-light speed spacecraft. Though she appeared human, she was actually of some alien race that was adapted to life in space, born from a vat (as in Brave New World). I wonder whether Tilda Swinton's has an otherworldly grace that inspired the Doctor Who programmers just as it does me.

No comments:
Post a Comment